Kiwifruit Custard Clouds
– Recipe courtesy of Chefs Jan Bilton & Julie Biuso for Zespri International Ltd.
A new take on New Zealand’s traditional Pavlova
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup (250ml) powdered sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) low fat milk
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125ml) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbsp grated orange peel
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 Zespri® Kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp orange marmalade
- fresh orange peel for garnish (optional)
- Beat egg whites until foamy; add vanilla and cream of tartar. Beat in powdered sugar, 1 tbsp at a time. Beat until mixture stands in stiff glossy, peaks. Do not overbeat.
- Spoon meringue onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to make 8 mounds. Spread each mound into a 4-inch round nest with the back of a tbsp. Bake at 200ºF (93ºC) for 4½ minutes, or until meringues are crisp but not brown. Set aside and cool completely.
- Combine milk, sugar, cornstarch and orange peel in a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Briskly stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks; then, stir the egg yolk mixture into hot milk mixture. Continue to cook the custard over medium high heat until it thickens. Set aside and cool completely, stirring periodically.
- Toss kiwifruit with the orange marmalade to coat, and set aside.
- To assemble, place a meringue shell onto a dessert plate and spoon custard onto its center. Top dessert with 3 or 4 kiwifruit slices and garnish with fresh orange peel, if desired.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
Chilling time: 1 hour
Makes: 8 servings
Nutritional Analysis per Serving: 210 Calories (13% Calories from Fat), 6g Protein, 42g Carbohydrate, 1g
Fiber, 3g Fat, 1g Sat. Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 110mg Cholesterol, 70mg Sodium