SunGold Kiwifruit and Manuka Honey Meringues
– Recipe courtesy of Chefs Jan Bilton & Julie Biuso for Zespri International Ltd.
- 11 egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of fine salt
- 1-lb 2 oz (550g) demerara sugar*
- 150 ml (5 oz) double cream
- 2 tbsp manuka honey**
- 6 Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp sugar
- Place the first four ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat with a whisk attachment for 10 minutes on full power.
- Line two or three baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon the meringue mixture into 12 to 15 rounds*** onto the sheets; then, using the back of a spoon, gently make a well in the center of each meringue.
- Bake for 1½ hours at 120°C (250°F); then, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven to cool completely.
- When you’re ready to serve these, whip the cream and honey until thick enough to form peaks.
- Slice four of the Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit each into six rings. Mash the remaining two kiwifruit and the caster sugar with the back of a fork to make a coulis.
- To serve, place for of the meringues onto dessert plates, and fill each with 1/4 of the honey-cream mixture. Top with kiwifruit slices; then, pour the coulis around the edge of the plate.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Chilling time: Follow ice cream freezer instructions
Makes: 4 servings
Tropical-sweet gold kiwifruit is featured in this richly sweet dessert.
*Demerara sugar is course and light brown, similar to “sugar in the raw” in the U.S. Light brown sugar makes a good substitute.
**Native manuka honey is another of New Zealand’s delicious foods. However, any high quality honey will work as well.
***When making meringues, it is difficult to make just four at a time, so this recipe will make about 12-15 meringues. Keep them in an airtight container for up to a week.