Classy Citrus and Kiwifruit Ceviche
An updated version of a classic appetizer from South America. Try serving it cold on lettuce leaves instead of using traditional tortillas.
- 1/2 lb / 250 g shrimp or prawn meat, cooked, cubed
- 1/2 lb / 250 g salmon, cubed
- 1/2 lb / 250 g scallops, cubed
- 1/2 lb / 250 g white fish, cubed
- 1/2 cup / 250 g red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml green Jalapeno pepper, diced, seeded
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml red jalapeno pepper, diced, seeded
- 1/2 teasp / 2.5 ml red pepper flakes
- 2 cups / 475 ml fresh lime juice
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup / 120 ml cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml sugar
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, scooped & diced
- 2 Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit, scooped & diced
- 2 limes, segmented
- 1 orange, segmented
- lettuce leaves
- Combine the shrimp, salmon, scallops, white fish, red onion, Jalapeno peppers, red pepper flakes and lime juice. Marinate refrigerated for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Just before serving, drain off excess lime juice and add tomatoes, cilantro, sugar, salt and pepper. Carefully add in the kiwifruit, lime and orange segments and gently mix. Serve on bed of lettuce leaves.
Makes: 16 (1/2 cup) servings.
Serving Nutritional Analysis: Calories 110 (21% Calories from Fat), Protein 12g, Carbohydrate 12g, Fiber 2g, Fat 3g, Sat. Fat 0g, Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 60mg