Shrimp Tempura with Kiwifruit Confetti
– Recipe courtesy of Chef Dante Boccuzzi of Dante Restaurant, Cleveland, Ohio
- 4 to 6 Zespri® Green or SunGold Kiwifruit, finely diced
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons Sambal (garlic chili paste)
- 1 Lime, juiced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 dozen Large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 cups Tempura flour, divided
- 1 cup Corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups Ice water
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine mayonnaise, sambal, lime juice and salt and pepper in medium bowl; set aside.
- Split shrimp tails; roll to form pinwheel or wrap to form tight ball. Secure each with bamboo skewer to form lollipop. Roll skewered shrimp in 1 cup tempura flour to cover completely; shake off excess. Blend remaining 1 cup tempura flour, cornstarch and ice water until slightly lumpy. Dip skewered shrimp into batter; shake off excess.
- Pour 4-inches vegetable oil in large heavy sauce pan; heat to 350˚F.
- Deep fry shrimp for 1 to 2 minutes until crisp and golden.
To serve, top each shrimp lollipop with about 1 teaspoon of sambal mayonnaise and diced kiwifruit confetti. Prep time: 10 minutes Makes: 6 entree servings or 12 appetizer servings