Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Kiwifruit Nuoc Cham
– Recipe courtesy of Chef Jet Tila using Zespri® Kiwifruit
- 8 oz rice Vermicelli noodles
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 bunch Vietnamese basil
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, julienne
- 2 medium carrots, fine julienne
- 1 lb cooked, peeled shrimp, cut in half lengthwise
- 25 standard size rice paper wrappers
- Prepare sauce according to recipe below and reserve.
- Cook the rice vermicelli in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes, or until al dente. Shock in ice water to stop the cooking process and drain well.
- Peel carrots and cut into fine julienne. Combine the reserved, noodles, carrots, lettuce, and kiwifruit to make the filling.
- Soak rice paper in hot water until it softens and then place it on a work surface. Place one or two tbsp vegetable filling in the center of the wrapper and top it with, basil, cilantro, and two shrimp pieces.
- Press the filling down to flatten it a little. Fold in 2 sides, and then roll up the parcel. Lay seam side down on a serving plate. Serve with Nuoc Cham Sauce below.
Zespri® Kiwifruit NUOC CHAM:
- 3 ripe red chilies, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup rice or cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce
- 2 Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit, pureed with a little water
- 2 Green and SunGold kiwifruit, quartered and cut into small tiles
- Combine all ingredients except diced kiwifruit. Adjust seasoning, and garnish with diced kiwifruit.
- Cover and marinade for 1/2 to 1 hours.
Makes: 3 cups