Dr. Gonzo’s Kiwifruit Debauchery
– Recipe courtesy of Chef Mark Brand of Chambar Restaurant
Lemongrass Infused Gin
- 1 bottle (750 ml) Gin
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass
- Cut lemongrass in half lengthwise exposing inner leaves.
- Drop into the bottle of gin and infuse for 72-96 hours, tasting as you go. The gin should be flavored but not bitter from the infusion.
Candied Kiwifruit Chips (optional, for garnish)
- 1 cup (237 ml) water
- 1 cup (237 ml) sugar
- 6 Zespri® Green or SunGold Kiwifruit
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer until dissolved; set aside to cool in a shallow bowl.
- Slice kiwifruit, skin on, thinly and soak in the sugared water, refrigerated, for 6-8 hours.
- Lay kiwifruit slices on parchment lined baking tray and bake at 220?F (104?C) for 1 hour until crispy but not brown.
- Remove and store in a cool, dry place.
Kiwifruit Debauchery Cocktail
- 1 Zespri® Green or SunGold Kiwifruit
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 2 oz (56.8 ml) lemongrass infused gin
- 2 oz (56.8 ml) passion fruit nectar
- Cut kiwifruit in half and scoop contents with a spoon into cocktail shaker.
- Add three lime wedges and the sugar.
- Muddle until juices are mixed and released from fruit.
- Add the gin, and passion fruit nectar.
- Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into ice-filled rocks glass.
- Garnish with candied kiwifruit chips and lime wedge.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Infusion time: 3 days
Makes: 1 cocktail