Kiwifruit Stacks with Cinnamon Mascarpone
- 4-6 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest, grated
- 1/4 cup mascarpone* cheese
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground
- Peel and slice the kiwifruit into rounds. Sprinkle orange juice and zest over kiwifruit; set aside.
- Stir mascarpone, honey and cinnamon together until blended; set aside.
- Place kiwifruit on serving plate. Spoon one tbsp cinnamon mascarpone over kiwifruit and sprinkle with additional cinnamon, if desired. Repeat layering two times ending with kiwifruit.
Makes: 4 servings
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 140 (43% Calories from Fat), Protein 2g, Carbohydrate 20g, Fiber 3g, Fat 7g, Sat. Fat 3.5g, Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 10mg
Mascarpone, a key ingredient in tiramisu and zabaglione, is a velvety soft, slightly acidic cheese. Although Italian in origin, the name may come from the Spanish mas que bueno, “better than good.” It’s usually sold in tubs. Use it soon after you purchase it since it’s highly perishable. Pronunciation: mas-car-POH-nay, mascarpone = mascherpone = Italian cream cheese
Substitutes: Blend 8 ounces softened cream cheese with 1/4 cup whipping cream. OR Blend 8 ounces softened cream cheese with 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup cream. OR Blend 8 ounces softened cream cheese with 1/8 cup whipping cream and 1/8 cup sour cream. OR Whip ricotta cheese in a blender until smooth (lowest fat option).