Panna Cotta with Fresh Kiwifruit Coulis
It’s undeniable that the kiwifruit is a nutritional powerhouse. High in vitamin C and a good source of fiber and folate, kiwifruit could be seen as a perfect fruit — we certainly think so!
So what better way to enjoy the perfect flavor of Zespri® Green and SunGold™ Kiwifruit than as a complement to a perfect dessert — the panna cotta!
Our panna cotta with fresh kiwifruit coulis recipe has it all: refreshing, delicious, eye-catching, and easy to make!
But first . . .
What is a Coulis?
Have you ever ordered a cheesecake from a restaurant that was served with a delicate drizzle of strawberry sauce? Or perhaps a molten chocolate cake that sat in a perfect pool of chocolate sauce? If so, then you’ve already come across coulis (pronounced COO’-lee).
Considered by many chefs to be their “secret weapon,” coulis not only enhances a dish’s taste, but also adds flair and verve to a dessert’s presentation. And it’s more than ‘just a sauce!’ Coulis usually has a thick, velvety consistency that’s perfect for holding shapes of circles and dots.
A Whole Lotta (panna) Cotta!
No matter the occasion, a panna cotta is always the right dessert. It’s quick to make and can fit any type of party — whether a small gathering or a larger fancy event.
The name ‘panna cotta’ literally means “cooked cream” and is, at its most fundamental, just cream, sugar, and gelatin. It’s a simple dessert — probably one of the simplest desserts — that originated from Northern Italy.
Making the Kiwifruit Coulis
Making the kiwifruit coulis is just as simple as the panna cotta. And since the kiwifruit coulis is technically just a fruit sauce that’s been thickened by the kiwi’s own puree, you’ll end up with more of the essence of the kiwifruit, which we know to be low in calories and high in nutritional value.
You will need:
- 2 Zespri® SunGold™ Kiwifruit, peeled and diced (for garnishment)
- 2 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, peeled and diced
- 4 teaspoons sugar
Purée the Zespri® Green Kiwifruit and sugar in blender or small food processor until smooth. Be careful not to crush the kiwifruit seeds.
With this kiwifruit coulis, you get more than just the basic kiwifruit flavor — already delicious by its own right. You’ll actually end up with a silky smooth sauce that elevates the panna cotta to the next level!
Making the Panna Cotta
A note on time: Prep time for the panna cotta is quick, but it will need to be refrigerated for at least 4 hours or, preferably, overnight.
You will need:
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 6-oz custard cups (six total)
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in medium bowl; stir.
- Let stand for 10 minutes until softened.
- Microwave the cream and sugar in small microwave-safe bowl for two (2) minutes, stirring once, until simmering.
- Add the cream and sugar to the gelatin mixture; stir.
- Add buttermilk and stir until combined.
- Pour into 6-oz custard cups — six (6) total.
- Cover and refrigerate for four (4) hours or overnight until firm.
- Place each custard cup in 1-inch hot water for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Immediately (and carefully) invert onto the center of a small plate and repeat for the other cups. You might need to run a thin knife around edge of each custard cup. Be careful not to break the panna cotta!
- Spoon Green Kiwifruit coulis around panna cotta, garnish with Zespri SunGold™ Kiwifruit.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis per Serving: Calories 170, 5g Protein, 24g Carbohydrate, 1g Fiber, 8g Fat, 4.5g Sat. Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 30mg Cholesterol, 95mg Sodium
Prep time: 10 minute
Chilling time: 4 hours
Makes 6 servings
* * *
By its very nature, the panna cotta is a very versatile dessert. You can make it sugar-free, with sugar, or with fruit-sugar only; and as a light, soft pudding or an thick, rich pudding.
But using our technique, you’ll end up with the perfect panna cotta — silky smooth but firm, with a fun, gelatinous wobble.
Even better, the dessert is gluten-free!
But don’t take our word for it — try our Panna Cotta with Fresh Kiwifruit Coulis recipe for yourself! Let us know how it turns out on social media. And don’t forget to tag @ZespriKiwi on your photos!