Chicken Breast with Sweet Potato Mash and SunGold Kiwifruit
- 4 Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit
- finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 2 medium lemons
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3-1/2 oz (100ml) light vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- 1.10 lbs (500g) orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch (3cm) thick chunks
- 2 tbsp white/brown miso (soybean paste, available in Asian food section of the grocery store)
- 1 large fresh red chili pepper, finely sliced on an angle
- 7 oz (200ml) cooking oil
- 4 whole chicken breasts
- 5 oz (150g) washed watercress
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C)
- Slice kiwifruit into halves and spoon fruit out into a blender or food processor. Add the lemon zest and juice, cilantro and salad oil and 1 tsp salt, and purée on medium speed until smooth. Pour through a fine sieve to remove the seeds, if desired, and set aside.
- Boil the sweet potato chunks with a dash of salt until tender. Add the miso and mash them together. Set aside and keep warm.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, heat the cooking oil in a small saucepan, and deep-fry the sliced chili until darkened and crisp. Remove from the oil, and drain on paper towel.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet on high heat, and add 2 tbsp of the chili oil. When hot, cook the chicken breasts, skin-side down, until the skin crisps and becomes golden. Turn the breasts over, and roast in the oven until cooked — about 15 minutes. The chicken is cooked when clear juices run after inserting a fine knife into the thickest part of the breast.
- To serve, place a spoonful of the potato mash in the center of a plate; top with a bunch of watercress, then the chicken sliced in 2-3 pieces. Spoon the Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit sauce over the top.
Here the dressing’s sweetness blends all the other quite earthy flavors together in a delicious main course. You’ll find that this dish also works well with a plain mashed potato.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings