Kiwifruit Monte Cristo
Do a triple-take on the standard triple layer sandwich. This is not your mom’s Monte Cristo.
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml mayonnaise, low fat
- 1 large clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml orange juice
- 1 tsp / 5 ml orange peel, grated
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup / 250 ml milk
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml Grand Marnier (optional)
- 1 tsp / 5 ml cinnamon, ground
- 12 slices firm white bread, crusts removed
- 4 oz / 125 g Havarti cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 oz / 125 g turkey, cooked and thinly sliced
- 4 oz / 125 g mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 Zespri® Green kiwifruit, peeled and
- thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp / 15 ml butter or margarine
- powered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Puree mayonnaise, garlic and orange juice until blended. Stir in orange peel; set aside.
- Whisk eggs, milk, Grand Marnier and cinnamon until blended. Dip 4 slices bread into the egg-mixture, coating both sides. Spread 1½ teaspoons mayonnaise mixture on one side of each bread slice. Layer Havarti and turkey.
- Dip 4 more slices bread into egg-mixture; place on top of turkey slices. Spread 1½ teaspoons mayonnaise mixture on top of each bread slice; top with Mozzarella and kiwifruit slices.
- Dip last 4 slices bread into egg-mixture and place on top of kiwifruit slices. Secure sandwiches with long toothpicks.
- Melt butter in 13x9x2-inch (33x23x5 cm) pan. Place sandwiches on butter. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes, turning once until golden brown. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Makes: 4 sandwiches.
Serving Nutritional Analysis: Calories 560 (49% Calories from Fat), Protein 30g, Carbohydrate 42g, Fiber 4g, Fat 31g, Sat. Fat 16g, Cholesterol 270mg, Sodium 1200mg