Pepper Beef with Tangy Kiwifruit Salsa
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1-lb filet mignon, trimmed of fat
- 2 tbsp black pepper, ground
- 2 tsp salt
For Tangy Kiwifruit Salsa
- 2 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 fresh red chili, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp lime juice
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1/2 cup jicama, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 3 green onions, washed and diced
- 2 oz snow pea pods, topped and tailed
- 3 tbsp peanuts, blanched
- 1 cup bean sprouts, fresh
- 1 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in small heavy casserole or cast iron pan. Add beef and brown on one side. Sprinkle black pepper over beef. Flip meat and cook second side until browned, sprinkling pepper over top of meat. Sprinkle salt on both sides of beef.
- Place casserole or pan into the oven and bake at 400°F 10 minutes or to desired doneness, turning once. Cool and refrigerate until chilled.
- Pat beef dry with paper towel and thinly slice; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Slice kiwifruit into halves and spoon the fruit out onto a cutting board; dice. Place half the kiwifruit into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth, being careful not to crush the seeds.
- Pour puree into a medium bowl and add remaining diced kiwifruit, cucumber, red chili, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Stir until blended, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a wok or frying pan to medium heat.
- Add jicama, red bell pepper and white pieces of the green onions and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add green pieces of the onions, snow peas, and peanuts and stir-fry until the green onions just start to wilt. Remove from heat.
- Stir in bean sprouts, and add salt to taste.
- Arrange sliced beef on plates.
- Serve with stir-fry and Tangy Kiwifruit Salsa.
- Garnish with additional sliced kiwifruit, if desired
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 18 to 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 360 (41% Calories from Fat), Protein 33g, Carbohydrate 20g, Fiber 3g, Fat 16g, Sat. Fat 7g, Cholesterol 110 mg, Sodium 100 mg.